YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login. Active Topics | Login | Register

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Tony Raven
#11 Posted : Saturday, May 09, 2015 11:36:07 AM(UTC)
Tony Raven

Groups: Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 152 post(s)
QUESTION 4 -- as a winder, you pretty much have to work with what you're given, so far as the few "standard" formats. Sure, this limitation unleashes all sorts of creative potential... but, if you had total freedom to create just about any size/shape pickup, is there anything in particular that you think might be Really Cool?

QUESTION 5 -- okay, I brought this up in another thread, but it nags at me: would it make any sense to put BOTH an Alnico-slug coil AND a magnet-charged coil (independently wired) into the same humbucker case? My thinking is that the bar magnet would make the whole thing sound like any other coil-split HB.
QUESTION 5.b -- how about the same thing, but magnetic slugs & no bar?

QUESTION6 -- briefly, what is the tonal difference if you use a heavier wire?

All a writer really needs is a blank page and a bad attitude.
Tony Raven
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 03, 2016 1:39:00 AM(UTC)
Tony Raven

Groups: Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 152 post(s)
QUESTION 7 -- is there any reason I shouldn't take a good inexpensive guitar & rout it for original-spec Jazzmaster pickups? Do you know anyone who's built/worked one?

QUESTION 8 -- (though I've probably asked this before) what is (supposedly) "wrong" with ceramic magnets? As a kid, the only quack I heard was that ceramic bars might crack if subjected to physical abuse or drastic temperature changes.
8A -- last that I ran a Johnson Badwater through the Kustom Defender 5H, I thought it sounded quite good. The Johnsons have pickups charged with stick-on magnetic tape. Is this really anything at all like a ceramic bar magnet???
8B -- am I the only one who can make these things sound good...?

QUESTION 9 -- why does it seem like 95% of pickups on the market use Alnico 5? Is that actually in any sense "better"? or is it more a matter than our ears have been trained from a very young age to accept this as the "normal" sound?
9B -- ditto for open-face.
9C -- & "hot."
9D -- & 42 ga.

QUESTION 10 -- have you ever told a client/customer specifically to set a specific pole-to-string distance? I ask because I've "fixed" a few guitars for people just by back the pickups down a few millimeters, & they're shocked at how the muddiness just seems to disappear!!

QUESTION 11 -- Duncan says there's "at least 18" insulation materials. How do you choose which is best? or do you mostly just use what everyone else is using, because... well, everyone else is using it?

All a writer really needs is a blank page and a bad attitude.