YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login. Active Topics | Login | Register

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<345
Charlie Trotter
#41 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:58:45 AM(UTC)
Charlie Trotter

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks for the kind words, Axeman69! And I agree, big_teee, the Yamaha does sound the best of the three. I love it. Its my first electric. I bought it new when I was a teenager. Putting flat wound .12s on it and running it to open G seemed to allow the guitar to take its final form, so to speak.

Meanwhile, unfortunately, over decided to return the Aslin Dane. I took it to a local luthier and it was going to take about $75 to do a fret level, and I finally had to get real about it. I didn't get this as a project guitar, I got it as a player so I could see how I might integrate it into my playing style, and it was proving to be more than I bargained for. The seller on Reverb had been great about it.

Even still, we've all documented a little more about these obscure guitars for the next person, so it wasn't a total loss.
Axeman69
#42 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:49:46 AM(UTC)
Axeman69

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Cheers mate! ThumpUp Sorry it didn't work out for you!
big_teee
#43 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:23:00 PM(UTC)
big_teee

Man

Was thanked: 244 time(s) in 239 post(s)
Sorry you had to return it, and it didn't work out.
Unfortunately most guitars in the budget price range require some tweaking.
Rondo sells a bunch of 7 string stuff, but will probably have some of the same issues.
http://www.rondomusic.com/7string.html
One thing about rondo, if the guitar has a problem they will give refunds, and ship the guitar back for free.
I have a whole room full of their lefty six string stuff. lol
T
Kirske
#44 Posted : Sunday, May 07, 2017 10:14:38 PM(UTC)
Kirske

Australia

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Howdy everybody. A mate was clearing out his storage shed and found a guitar collecting dust. I popped round to have a look and, being a sucker for unique looking guitars, bought it straight away. It needed the neck sorting (Years in humidity with strings still on) and a bit of a clean, and it looked a treat. This forum was a goldmine of info, cheers to all for doing all that research. How this guitar ended up in the middle of nowhere in Australia, I don't know!

Here's some photos.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/9yUOF

Edited by user Monday, May 08, 2017 2:45:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked Kirske for this useful post.
Axeman69 on 5/10/2017(UTC)
Axeman69
#45 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:19:39 AM(UTC)
Axeman69

Man
Australia

Originally Posted by: Kirske Go to Quoted Post
Howdy everybody. A mate was clearing out his storage shed and found a guitar collecting dust. I popped round to have a look and, being a sucker for unique looking guitars, bought it straight away. It needed the neck sorting (Years in humidity with strings still on) and a bit of a clean, and it looked a treat. This forum was a goldmine of info, cheers to all for doing all that research. How this guitar ended up in the middle of nowhere in Australia, I don't know!

Here's some photos.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/9yUOF

Cobber! Thank FUCK you're here!!! ThumpUp

GOOD to see another Aussie here!
I have been the ONLY Aussie on this forum for some years!

Welcome dude, and didjabringabeeralong?

Me gunya's down south hey! Melbournian actually!

Cheers bro.

That was a GREAT find for a guitar! What did you end up paying for it?

My sis had a similar 1 2 years back, shed find Suzuki copy of a Martin D28! Needed work but came out great! I work in a shop, & got 3 offers of $200 on the spot for it.

Check my blog about it in acoustic guitars.
binkicker
#46 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 7:25:55 PM(UTC)
binkicker

Australia

So I've been to this thread a few times in my hopes of seeking more info about these guitars - I couldn't resist any longer, I had to join the forum and chip in!

I was in Melbourne a few weeks ago and dropped into Music Swop Shop, an all-consignment used instrument store and saw a black Aslin Dane Classic 2H on the wall, which you all probably know is their Les Paul copy model. I took it down and played it for close to an hour. I have owned Gibsons, Fenders, lawsuit-era Gibson copies, etc and for my money that guitar played the best out of all of them. It wasn't without its problems - quite a few dead spots, fret buzz, a high fret/stuck note beyond the 20th on the high E, and someone had replaced the AD 59 pickups with active EMGs, but I left there convinced I was gonna buy that guitar and get it shipped up to me in Brisbane sometime soon.

Lo and behold, I bit the bullet last Tuesday and it arrived with me yesterday! I cannot get enough of this guitar. I love the exaggerated, pointy lower horn, the LP body shape but thinned out so it's less of a boat anchor, the Superphenol fretboard that gives no resistance to the fingers and is like a trampoline that springs you into the next note while you're playing - I just love it. As fun as it is playing Metallica riffs through the EMGs I have some more versatile/tasteful Duncan humbuckers coming in the mail and those will be put in along with having all the other issues addressed.

I could see myself owning a few Aslin Danes - provided I find more of them!
 1 user thanked binkicker for this useful post.
Axeman69 on 5/20/2017(UTC)
Kirske
#47 Posted : Saturday, May 20, 2017 4:55:29 AM(UTC)
Kirske

Australia

Howdy Bro.

The only one? Well, you can add a Darwinian to the score! I used to live in Greensborough, it's a bit warmer here.
I scored the guitar for free, as said, it needed a bit of work. Plays good now though. I reckon I owe my mate a few beers! I'll have a read of your blog, sounds good.
Axeman69
#48 Posted : Saturday, May 20, 2017 11:18:56 AM(UTC)
Axeman69

Man
Australia

Originally Posted by: binkicker Go to Quoted Post
So I've been to this thread a few times in my hopes of seeking more info about these guitars - I couldn't resist any longer, I had to join the forum and chip in!

I was in Melbourne a few weeks ago and dropped into Music Swop Shop, an all-consignment used instrument store and saw a black Aslin Dane Classic 2H on the wall, which you all probably know is their Les Paul copy model. I took it down and played it for close to an hour. I have owned Gibsons, Fenders, lawsuit-era Gibson copies, etc and for my money that guitar played the best out of all of them. It wasn't without its problems - quite a few dead spots, fret buzz, a high fret/stuck note beyond the 20th on the high E, and someone had replaced the AD 59 pickups with active EMGs, but I left there convinced I was gonna buy that guitar and get it shipped up to me in Brisbane sometime soon.

Lo and behold, I bit the bullet last Tuesday and it arrived with me yesterday! I cannot get enough of this guitar. I love the exaggerated, pointy lower horn, the LP body shape but thinned out so it's less of a boat anchor, the Superphenol fretboard that gives no resistance to the fingers and is like a trampoline that springs you into the next note while you're playing - I just love it. As fun as it is playing Metallica riffs through the EMGs I have some more versatile/tasteful Duncan humbuckers coming in the mail and those will be put in along with having all the other issues addressed.

I could see myself owning a few Aslin Danes - provided I find more of them!

Bloody hell! It doesn't rain, but it pours! ANOTHER new Aussie joins us!

Welcome cobber!

Yeah the Swoppy is a GREAT shop! You NEVER know what you are going to find in there!

3 Aussies in as many weeks! I NO longer feel isolated geographically on this board!
(I was the only Aussie here for at least 5 odd years!)

GLAD you like the Aslin Dane LP style guitar. A bit of a sleeper brand that 1!

Cheers! ThumpUp
Tony Raven
#49 Posted : Sunday, May 21, 2017 10:53:50 AM(UTC)
Tony Raven

Groups: Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 152 post(s)
By all means, ANY input into the faded history of Aslin Dane guitars is welcome -- actual hands-on experience is priceless!!

There's certainly fans scattered about; every time I see an import A-D Strat clone, & note the plastic fretboard, it's quickly snapped up. I've yet to verify even one made-in-USA instrument, but even the MIC stuff (pretty early in the MIC era, actually, so IMO risky) fetches a good price.

Spotted a Teaza 7 (h-h) weirdly made into a wide-neck six. And it has the unique tuner knobs...but of course missing one, so points off, but nice to look at.
https://reverb.com/item/4660611-...Fdy4wAodQgoIYA&pla=1

A hard-to-spot Bohemian --
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Use...-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

A sold S-clone; sure looks to me like plastic fretboard. Of course, it's tagged as "a beginner guitar," but at least that helps keep asking prices down a while longer.
http://www.musicgoround.com/p/1...-s-style-electric-guitar

An example of their short-lived amp line, here a little bass combo --
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Use...e-AB30-Bass-Combo-Amp.gc

$250 (+ moderately costly s/h) gets you this h-s-s S-type -- 24 frets, so not really a "clone" & closer to EB/MM. FWIW, street price on the pickups (new) is about $80 each.
http://www.musicgoroundkenosha....zo2_mngdQCFZeEaQodBH8CKA

All a writer really needs is a blank page and a bad attitude.