YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login. Active Topics | Login | Register

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Hink
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:25:34 PM(UTC)
Hink

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If not let me clue you in on this amazing company. http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/

I have two, the first one I bought last winter and the second arrived on the 4th of this month.

The first one, a pre-amp with a two watt power tube option. It's gone up 50 dollars but when I bought it it cost me 315 dollars and that's with shipping. The dual pro one http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/page17.php

The second is the Champ Super sportster http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/page21.php

Both handwired, both single ended class A and both very nice...the only downside is they are built to order so you cant stop it or return it and the turn around is really about 8 weeks.

the Pre with the two watt power tube pushes my jet city iso cab nicely but I also use a weber mini mass attenuator even with just two watts. If you want great tube tone cheap, her it is.

The champ super sportster is more like a uni-valve that has a real tone stack and some real features. I had mine set up with a single socket, the 6v6/EL34 switch, an fx loop and I requested a pentode/triode switch. (he now offers the latter as an option and I thin the picture of the back of the amo is actually my amp) this amazing amp with shipping was 639usd. It has a typical BMT tonestack with a presence control, a line out that is post power transformer (the link explains this well) and I also had him add the fx loop so I can use the single ended power amp with other amps.

I can run EL34, 6v6, 6L6, Kt66, KT77, KT88 and because I have a pair of THD Yellow jackets I can run an EL84. Of course I can swap out the 12ax7s with at7s or au7s and I can use various rectifier tubes (or a solid state rectifier) A LOT of bang for the buck.

Instead of typing my fingers to the bones please read the links as to what other unique features he has like the "F" input and the "M" input. Very nice little amps for recording at a very nice price.

I was going to go all out and buy a Dr Z Maz 8 but that is just not my style and instead put that money toward a new i7 2600 3.4 ghz from PCAudiolabs with enough leftover for the Frenzel. Honestly, there are few deals as good as this if you dont mind the wait. :)

best wishes to all
John H.
Sponsor
big_teee
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:37:28 PM(UTC)
big_teee

Man

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Sounds like they work great.
Glad you like them.
Sounds like your good at building things?
You should consider building a kit amp.
lots of good ones out there.
Good Luck,
Terry
Keep Rockin!
Terry
Big T Custom Pickups
Tony Raven
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:38:29 PM(UTC)
Tony Raven

Man
United States

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I've heard about Jim Frenzel's amps for years but, not being the sorta item that has big splashy ads & thousand-unit runs, I've never actually even seen one:

http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/

Some seriously spiffy stuff, yet not the sort of prices I'd normally associate with "boutique" amps. I mean, heck, $500 compares VERY favorably to the Big Boys (Fender, Marshall, Hiwatt...). The kits I was considering from various vendors are more expensive!!

Confusing the issue is the OTHER Frenzel, being rebranded as T5:
http://www.frenzelelectronics.com/
http://www.t5tubeamps.com/
...but THESE amps run $1,200+.

Thanks for reminding me!! Again, it's been years since I heard the name mentioned -- maybe it was a Guitar Player reference back in the 1970s. More recently, a Vintage Guitar review wrapped up by saying about Jim Frenzel's work:
Quote:
All in all it is hard to believe that you can dial up the sounds of two classic sounding amps in a hand-wired preamp for the same cost as some boutique pedals. The FM-DP1 can easily hold up on big stages with products four times its cost. Too cool considering you can have some money left for a burger and that whole rent thing.

Keep an eye on eBay -- some older Frenzel amps pop up there, with surprisingly few bidders.

All a writer really needs is a blank page and a bad attitude.
Will Chen
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:44:24 AM(UTC)
Will Chen

Medals:
Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 73 post(s)
I was tempted by that pre when I first heard about it. Very cool features. Any chance for some clips? Tony, are you sure those are different companies? Their logo looks exactly the same.
Tony Raven
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:19:34 PM(UTC)
Tony Raven

Man
United States

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Totally guessing, but it seems like Trevor Frenzel has spun off his own designs from Jim Frenzel's shop.

All a writer really needs is a blank page and a bad attitude.
big_teee
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:27:02 PM(UTC)
big_teee

Man

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 93 post(s)
I could get more excited if they came with Head or Combo Cabs.
I think some do, but then Your up to real Money!
Your back to the cost of a vintage amp!
B_T
Keep Rockin!
Terry
Big T Custom Pickups
Hink
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 8:57:09 PM(UTC)
Hink

Man

sorry I didn't get right back...I have but one sample now and it's just the first Frenzel (the pre with a two watt tube) and it's in a mix (with that lead greatly exaggerated in the mix to hear it) and it does use the TS clone I built but I'll post it below (it's about 2 minutes or a little less).

big_teee I do have my sights on building an amp, I want to get this small single 12ax7/single EL84 kit they have at Antique Electronics first. (of course that is an amp) Weber has some great mod kits so my plan is to build this little amp that has like a volume, a bass and treble and use Weber kits to go Frankenstein on it. I also want to recap my mesa boogie sob and add a line out to it at one point.

As for the cabinets on the Frenzels, Antique Electronics again comes to the rescue with the same cages Frenzel uses starting at 37 usd and going up to maybe 55 usd but they are not painted. Last fall I decided my Boogie that was looking old so I bought some steel grating for it and did this

so painting the cages would be a snap. But on this new one I think because I will be swapping out tubes I like the idea of the to being open but I might put some nicely finished wooden ends on it.

Here's the clip of a song in progress (the phased guitar is through an Egnater)

http://tindeck.com/listen/fjco

:)
Hink
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 8:58:01 PM(UTC)
Hink

Man

BTW yes Trevor does make some nice looking amps as well
Johnny Electriglide
#9 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 2:45:03 PM(UTC)
Johnny Electriglide

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
All I got going to those links was a spam linker to other sites selling amps, cars, and who knows what. No Frenzel Amps at all.
However, I found this at ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/...&hash=item27c5a35b79

Edited by user Monday, April 16, 2012 2:51:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Up the Irons!
Hink
#10 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 3:10:38 PM(UTC)
Hink

Man

yeah Frenzel seems to be down and I'm kind of surprised...I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the storms they had. I'm fairly sure they didn't just go out of business though, I requested the pentode/triode switch and then after that not only did he add it as an option but he used a picture of my amp (verified by serial number) on his page to show the back of the amp...I hope they are back soon.