YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login. Active Topics | Login | Register

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages123>»
Tony Raven
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2013 12:06:25 AM(UTC)
Tony Raven

Groups: Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 161 time(s) in 154 post(s)
Okay, so I'm sure I've seen the "Aslin Dane" name before, yet another clonemaker. (Like, their Bohemian is a Brian May clone, which GP in 2006 said was MSRP $499. And they have put out some MusicMan copies that would've shocked OLP.)

But have a look at THIS cutie:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBay...em&item=200936714562

Certainly a unique take on the Strat, & the tuners are just amazingly bizarre.

Appears to be an NYC-based semi-boutique builder of axes & amps, with their lower-end models made in Korea, but info is sketchy. I did manage to dig them up on GuitarSite.com, where one Bernard P informed us on 3/11/13 to
Quote:
Please direct your new inquiries to AslinDane@aol.com.
Our old USA site (aslindane.com) is not up anymore. We will relaunch with a new USA site and contact info. Still based in New York.
There is limited quantity vintage(original production) stock available. Teaza models, Black Wing, Jazz-35 Semi Hollow body, ALP-2H, various Basses, Baritone and 7 string. Original phenolic and Diamondwood fingerboards on these.
The tuners you mentioned are called Microdisk an aslin dane exclusive.

and reiterated 4/8/13
Quote:
our new site aslindaneUSA.com is underconstruction .
there will be updates soon

Blue Book Online sorta damns them with past tense:
Quote:
ASLIN DANE
Guitars previously produced in Korea. Previously distributed by Codel Enterprises LLC in Bethel, CT and David Burns Musical Instruments Inc. in West Islip, NY.
Aslin Dane was a trademark used on a line of electric guitars and basses. There are various configurations that include both original and popular American designs.

Well, at very least I've got another entry on my "watch for" list. If you've got more info or updates, PLEASE chime in here so we can aggregate the scattered bits.

All a writer really needs is a blank page and a bad attitude.
Sponsor
Tony Raven
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2013 1:51:50 AM(UTC)
Tony Raven

Man
United States

At an educated guess, AslinDane.com was snagged away from Aslin Dane late in 2008 when they neglected to renew ownership. But, thanks to the Wayback Machine, I've found a mostly-functional archive of the original site:

http://web.archive.org/web/2008...ttp://www.aslindane.com/

(Baffling. Given that these files are still out there, I could clone the site's code & have their website back up under the new URL in a few hours, rather than spend years getting around to it.)

Here's the dealer list circa 2008:
http://web.archive.org/web/2008...ises.com/dealer_list.htm

Tony Raven
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2013 2:00:57 AM(UTC)
Tony Raven

Man
United States

Per the Teaza:
Quote:
Teaza 111 MSRP: $449.00
The Teaza (tee-yah-zuh) 111 combines a familiar 3 single-coil pickup set-up with a modern ergonomic body.
Available in: Transparent Red Sunburst (TRSB) and Naturall (NH)

So, seeking $180 + s/h (with case) isn't so outrageous.

Also available were the Teaza 211 (h-s-s), 2H, Baritone, & 7.

Axeman69
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2013 12:49:36 PM(UTC)
Axeman69

Groups: Registered
Man
Australia

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 61 post(s)
I LIKE those tuners. Makes MORE sense and would be MORE accurate!
Tony Raven
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2013 2:19:44 PM(UTC)
Tony Raven

Man
United States

Okay, wild-hair time. I was trudging around in the weeds, looking for more info, & sure enough found a Teaza at a GC in Larchmont... for $99 --
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-...AT-109062560-i3166576.gc

It'll be on my stoop in a week for $115.

(So, I'm launching a brief experiment. Right this moment, if you Google aslin dane teaza, you will get a bare seven pages of hits, none of 'em this thread. The spiders are about due, so the latter will likely change soon enough. Once I get some hands-on, & post a few pictures with a review (maybe another thread), I'm curious how rapidly FrugalGuitarist will once again leap to Page One, then claw its way to the top.)

In any case, I wanted a ready-to-play s-s-s. The Teaza has bonuses like being back-mount back-rout, & not looking like every other Strat onstage at the open sessions. I'm kinda wondering, though, why it's priced so low -- a few years back, many GCs carried Aslin Dane axes, so you'd think it'd still be in the database.

Time may tell. But just in case the Teaza turns out to be a gem, keep half an eye open for the dust-collectors at your local shops.

Edited by user Monday, September 02, 2013 3:59:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Braindancer
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2013 10:30:59 PM(UTC)
Braindancer

Canada

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Axeman69 Go to Quoted Post

Heh...it looks like a great idea to me, too...until it comes time to change strings!

Gives me an idea, though. With just three or four threads and socket types, you could cover 90%+ of the OEM tuners on the market. Wouldn't these make dandy retrofit tuner buttons?
Axeman69
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:28:01 AM(UTC)
Axeman69

Man
Australia

Originally Posted by: Braindancer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Axeman69 Go to Quoted Post

Heh...it looks like a great idea to me, too...until it comes time to change strings!

Gives me an idea, though. With just three or four threads and socket types, you could cover 90%+ of the OEM tuners on the market. Wouldn't these make dandy retrofit tuner buttons?

They would! You'd think they'd catch on esp for the upgrade/retrofit market.
Axeman69
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:30:38 AM(UTC)
Axeman69

Man
Australia

Originally Posted by: Tony Raven Go to Quoted Post
Okay, wild-hair time. I was trudging around in the weeds, looking for more info, & sure enough found a Teaza at a GC in Larchmont... for $99 --
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-...AT-109062560-i3166576.gc

It'll be on my stoop in a week for $115.

So, I'm launching a brief experiment. Right this moment, if you Google aslin dane teaza, you will get a bare seven pages of hits, none of 'em this thread. The spiders are about due, so the latter will likely change soon enough. Once I get some hands-on, & post a few pictures with a review (maybe another thread), I'm curious how rapidly FrugalGuitarist will once again leap to Page One, then clawits way to the top.

In any case, I wanted a ready-to-play s-s-s. The Teaza has bonuses like being back-mount back-rout, & not looking like every other Strat onstage at the open sessions. I'm kinda wondering, though, why it's priced so low -- a few years back, many GCs carried Aslin Dane axes, so you'd think it'd still be in the database.

Time may tell. But just in case the Teaza turns out to be a gem, keep half an eye open for the dust-collectors at your local shops.

That type of mount too, might give it a more solid sound being body mounted. This design is more GODIN like. They make a Strat style guitar with SSS config & their revoicer circuit. Still sounds 'Stratty' but with more body to it!
Tony Raven
#9 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2013 7:52:43 PM(UTC)
Tony Raven

Man
United States

I've got like five hours of stuff to do before bed, & the job starts in 11.5 hours, so just a few brief notes.

If you Google aslin dane teaza, this thread is now #10 (page one, naturally). For comparison, it's #9 for aslin dane used. My point here: post your reviews!! This thread is drawing attention even without hands-on experience, much less photos. Y'all have some great guitars, & the Interwebs is crammed full of nonsense & blather -- this is becoming a trusted site, for good reason, & YOU are a part of that.

The Teaza was waiting. Seriously good score. Not a mark on it, the frets show zero wear (even laterals). Tagged as made-in-China, but no ROHS tag so I figure it's been gathering dust (literally) for a few years. The jack is a little loose in its plate, & that is about all keeping this from being an out-of-box 99%. Three-plank body with a really nice cap, but the back shows the wood to be so well-chosen that it's darned difficult to find the seams. The pickups are staggers, with the B's actually lower than high E, which might lead to some interesting string-shopping experiments. Two-point trem, no brand & a bit over-chromed, but solid-looking & well-fitted. Four-bolt plateless neck with great heel relief, oddly similar to the Peavey Predator+ it's parked next to. The nut (black) is slotted to almost the perfect all-around height.

The neck has a little relief, & a touch of buzz up toward fret 12, but without even touching the bridge height, I'd happily bring it onstage. I would feel confident offering it for sale at $400 minimum, so it's a win.

Tony Raven
#10 Posted : Monday, July 08, 2013 7:57:41 PM(UTC)
Tony Raven

Man
United States

Oh, yeah, I forgot. This Teaza DOES NOT have the funky-cool round-button tuners. The no-name cast-bodies are so perfectly fitted, though, that if they're not OEM, they were installed by a top-notch luthier. Again, this would speak to it being an earlier version, pre-2008 at newest -- if I get bored, I'll dig into the archived pages & push that date back.