YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login. Active Topics | Login | Register

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

big_teee
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 10:05:36 AM(UTC)
big_teee

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 244 time(s) in 239 post(s)
Chris Cornell dead at 52.
What a great vocal he had!
I knew him best through Audioslave.

http://www.upi.com/Enter...aign=ls&utm_medium=4
 1 user thanked big_teee for this useful post.
Axeman69 on 5/18/2017(UTC)
Sponsor
Axeman69
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 10:36:28 AM(UTC)
Axeman69

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Yeah, bit of a shock, heart probably. Sad
Tony Raven
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 21, 2017 10:12:16 AM(UTC)
Tony Raven

Groups: Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 152 post(s)
I first heard Cornell with Temple of the Dog, & was delighted to belatedly discover Soundgarden.

But I'm going to take the moment to defend the guy, in what might appear a backhanded way. From the available reports, I'm saying that his passing was a death by misadventure, NOT suicide. To be blunt, I will not be surprised if the coroner concludes that Cornell died from misjudgment during autoerotic asphyxiation -- a good Soudgarden show but too wound up to rest, one Ativan too many, one small terrible error. I'm pretty sure that he had successfully beaten back his need to get high in order to shut out the world.

Let us all take a moment to remember two things. First, many people turn to music as refuge from a world they find difficult to understand. And second, in order to develop & hone our musical skills, we NEED to cut ourselves off from others, sometimes hours a day, day after day -- at best, hanging out with other people just as screwed up as us.

Cornell suffered from crippling social-anxiety disorder from an early age, & spent almost two years literally obsessed with the music of The Beatles. He turned to drugs to beat back the anxiety, but the result was severe depression, & he hardly left the house in his mid-teens. (Ativan is a common treatment for anxiety disorders.) IMO, it was the early success he found as a musician that gave him impetus to cut back his addictions, & the sudden rise of Audioslave pushed him to get serious treatment in 2006 & finally cut those ties.

Cornell put up a hell of a fight, left quite a legacy of music, & was pretty much at the top of his game when he died. Let's celebrate that & not let him be remembered as a broken-down addict.

All a writer really needs is a blank page and a bad attitude.
 1 user thanked Tony Raven for this useful post.
Axeman69 on 5/21/2017(UTC)
Axeman69
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 21, 2017 10:27:40 AM(UTC)
Axeman69

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hear hear! Well said! Applause

I too do not think this was suicide. His family certainly have rebuked any notion of suicide, but an accidental death, i.e. misadventure.

Auto-erotic asphyxiation? The same 'fetish' that killed Michael Hutchence, David Carradine et al??? Think

His family knew him best. If they thought he was in THAT bad a frame of mind, they wouldn't have let him do that concert.

This may well just sadly turn out to be another accidental prescription overdose, like Heath Leger some years back.

ALL I can say is it is such a waste of talent! Crying