YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login. Active Topics | Login | Register

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Axeman69
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 10:59:24 AM(UTC)
Axeman69

Groups: Registered
Man
Australia

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Well, it arrived...

Just received the really cool, (& reletively frugal) Monoprice 15 Watt guitar amplifier with 12" Celestion speaker!

While it seems well built, 2 glaring issues with this otherwise nice amp. 1, it's US power only, despite the website showing the back panel with a MULTI-POWER transformer fitted, and 2, sadly it had transport damage! (NOT Monoprice's fault!) UPS damaged this amp!

I was SO looking forward to doing a review & demo for you as an Aussie first, but I couldn't even power it up!

This amp seems to be moddelled after the Laney Cub combo amp. Same wattage, valve compliment, and features. Same/similar circuit I'm guessing.

The Laney retails here for $780!!! This is just the same amp in a different box, and a different speaker. (Laney use H&H speakers, can't vouch for how good those are, as I have NO experience with them!)

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me IF these Mono amps are made in the SAME factory AS the Laney, 'budget' line!

I have contacted Monoprice to see what they advise to do about the damage and/or the power options.
But I dare say it will have to go back, as the front baffle is cracked right thru! (DAMN you UPS! You have a LOT to answer for Doug Heffernan!)

To be fair to Monoprice, their service is really good, and the speed of shipping was amazing, maybe TOO fast!

OhMyGod

Edited by user Friday, August 04, 2017 12:15:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
big_teee
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 11:33:28 AM(UTC)
big_teee

Man

Was thanked: 259 time(s) in 254 post(s)
If you didn't have the damage, the transformer could be changed out.
Maybe get monoprice to send a new multi-voltage power transformer, and a new front baffle.
That way you could at least test the amp, to see if they are worth a damn or not?
GL,
T
 1 user thanked big_teee for this useful post.
Axeman69 on 7/21/2017(UTC)
Axeman69
#3 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 12:05:58 PM(UTC)
Axeman69

Man
Australia

Originally Posted by: big_teee Go to Quoted Post
Maybe get monoprice to send a new multi-voltage power transformer, and a new front baffle.
That way you could at least test the amp, to see if they are worth a damn or not?
GL,
T

GOOD suggestion Terry, I have suggested this, but the damage is structural. I would have to pull the cabinet apart to replace the baffle! Kinda pointless, the transformer YES, that is an option to ask for.

I am thinking also, maybe this is WHY these amps are now ~$30 cheaper! Replaced a more expensive multi-power transformer with a cheaper US voltage one only! Had it had the world wide power tranny in it, it still would have had the USA power plug, but an adaptor to AU power would easily fix that.
External Step down transformer is another option as well.

Check the video please Terry, I show the cabinet damage at the end! It looks FINE from the front, but in the back you can see the crack all the way thru the front panel and behind the speaker!

Very inadequate packaging!

Hopefully I will hear back from them tomorrow.

Think
stoney
#4 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 4:21:56 PM(UTC)
stoney

Man
United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Hey '69
I looked at your video and to me it does not look like a shipping issue but a manufacturers defect in both material selection and assembly techniques.
The speaker baffle looks like Masonite (tempered hardboard) was used and when they mounted the speaker , they over tightened the nut. If they used plywood and a torque wrench there would be no issue.
I say let them pay for return postage as well as what you paid for delivery and give you a full refund.
They say they want to make America great again but this product is poorly designed with cheap materials. I am embarrassed to be an American in this case.
KEEP ROCKIN' DUDE!

Originally Posted by: Axeman69 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: big_teee Go to Quoted Post
GL,
T

GOOD suggestion Terry, I have suggested this, but the damage is structural. I would have to pull the cabinet apart to replace the baffle! Kinda pointless, the transformer YES, that is an option to ask for.

I am thinking also, maybe this is WHY these amps are now ~$30 cheaper! Replaced a more expensive multi-power transformer with a cheaper US voltage one only! Had it had the world wide power tranny in it, it still would have had the USA power plug, but an adaptor to AU power would easily fix that.
External Step down transformer is another option as well.

Check the video please Terry, I show the cabinet damage at the end! It looks FINE from the front, but in the back you can see the crack all the way thru the front panel and behind the speaker!

Very inadequate packaging!

Hopefully I will hear back from them tomorrow.

Think

"actions speak louder
than words
it's not what was said
but what was heard"

by stoney rohde
 1 user thanked stoney for this useful post.
Axeman69 on 7/22/2017(UTC)
Axeman69
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 22, 2017 12:00:44 PM(UTC)
Axeman69

Man
Australia

True words Stoney, but this amp is made in China dude!

Either way it's not very good.

Haven't heard back as yet.
If I get no reply to my support ticket, (their turn around is supposed to be 1 working day for a reply) I will actually apply for an RA.

I HOPE you are right & it was fucked in the factory, not in transit cos there is not 1 mark or other deformity of the cabinet at all. So you MIGHT be right! Either way it's not acceptable.

Most affordable combos are made from MDF anyway, wont resonate with great sound. Rebuild into a nice solid wood cabinet and then it will really make the speaker sound good.

Thanks Stoney!

ThumpUp
big_teee
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 22, 2017 12:23:05 PM(UTC)
big_teee

Man

Was thanked: 259 time(s) in 254 post(s)
Sorry AM, that it didn't turn out for you.
I bet you will get it sorted out.
T
 1 user thanked big_teee for this useful post.
Axeman69 on 7/23/2017(UTC)
Axeman69
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 7:44:23 AM(UTC)
Axeman69

Man
Australia

Just thought you lot would appreciate an update.

MP has since emailed me several times, and issued me with an RA#!!

They said they should NOT have really sold it to me, as it was designed for US domestic use only!
So they don't want to replace it. So they said they will give me a full refund!

Also, another US customer of Monoprice, commented on my un-boxing vid, that HE received 1 last week also via UPS, and his was totally DESTROYED!!! And his had nowhere near as far to travel!
So his went back also!

MP said they already launched an investigation and sent a 'please explain' letter to UPS!
They MIGHT end up using a better courier! (IF you can find 1!)
Ironically, anything I ever bought from the US, that came via USPS & AusPost, came in PERFECT condition!

Seems hardly worth it seeing they prob get these amps for ~$30 ea in bulk! And it will cost them the same amt to ship back, even if they refund me both purchase and shipping! (I am hedging they may say dispose of any way you see fit, here is your refund, NO warranty!) I get a free amp, and will rebuild it.
If not, no biggy. I send it back, and get MORE back on my refund as the USD has dropped since I bought it, so I stand to get a few $ more back than what I paid!

I'd GO the KONG, 2 ch 15W 1x12 combo, but same could happen and it's dearer, tho I think the shipping is a bit cheaper.

But, I CAN get the Laney Cub 15W 1x12R from my shop, and get it @ cost! Prob work out cheaper for me. (Prob under $500!) Re-valve with low gain preamp valves for more clean headroom, and use a valve OD pedal in front of it! Job done!

Looked on Gumtree AU, and Ebay, not 1 used model for sale anywhere! Either not enough bought, OR too good and amp no1 wants to get rid of!

Anyway, that's what's going on with the Monoprice 15 for now!

Thanks! ThumpUp

Edited by user Friday, August 04, 2017 12:19:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: typos

1 user thanked Axeman69 for this useful post.
big_teee on 7/29/2017(UTC)
Tony Raven
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 11:10:02 AM(UTC)
Tony Raven

Groups: Moderator, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Merely tossing in my few cents...

Fact is, I'm mostly satisfied with the Kustom Defender 5H ($99 used) run to a solid Lopo Line box (not cheap!) with 12" Vintage 30 -- me, spoilt by quality.

I agree with Stoney: sounds like the manufacturer might be a bit "penny wise, pound foolish," cutting corners simply to cut corners, with no clear benefit.

IME, a good idea to NEVER cheap out on the box. I'd really dig the Epi "Valve Junior" combo I got, except it's got something loose somewhere that makes an annoying rattle. If the housing is less than 100%, it drags everything else down & is usually not worth the effort of repair.

That said, I went looking at Monoprice.com. Searching tube amplifier, I get

• 1x8 5W, $99.99
  • 1x12 15W, $199.99
  • Route 66 beginner kit with the 1x8, $269.99

The last has gotten rather poor reviews, like 2.5 stars. I can't access them on this laptop. Have I mentioned lately that Monoprice is really a pain for trying to load all sorts of cookies, images, & tracker...?

I remain a little wary of the speaker. Sure, it might be a licensed Celestion...but does that put it in the same quality bracket as a premium Celestion? I'd as like suspect a $100 SRP guitar with "Grovers" or some big-name pickups (the "Designed By" thing has got out of hand!).

In any case, the only current 8" from Celestion is the "Eight 15," $29 street.

Anyway, on Amazon.com the 5W is listed at $134.99, the 15W $221.40 (though also $199.99 from another seller).

I suppose if one were to show up cheap, I'd give it a try.

All a writer really needs is a blank page and a bad attitude.
 1 user thanked Tony Raven for this useful post.
Axeman69 on 7/30/2017(UTC)
Axeman69
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 30, 2017 11:05:28 AM(UTC)
Axeman69

Man
Australia

Thanks, we'll see, WHAT we'll see!

That Celestion 70/80, is an entry level speaker. It looks nice, but I HAVEN'T heard it.

The AU retail price is $120! The GOOD, UK made Celestions start @ OVER $300 to $600+!

Personally I will stick with my locally made Lorantz's for ~$135! The vast bulk of his work, gets shipped to CHINA, cos Chinese users don't WANT their own speakers! (Go figure! Confused )

I will check as to what I can get the Laney Cub for from work. (+ slip my boss an extra $50 for his trouble)
Axeman69
#10 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 10:32:06 AM(UTC)
Axeman69

Man
Australia

UPS Australia, have contacted me and asked for a few pics of the damage, but mostly the carton, so I will take the box outside in the daylight and take a few snaps to send them.

(SHOULD be a nice day tomorrow! NEVER can tell in mid winter!) ThumpUp