YetAnotherForum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login. Active Topics | Login | Register

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Axeman69
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 07, 2017 8:34:27 AM(UTC)
Axeman69

Groups: Registered
Man
Australia

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Had been having a few probs for the past year or 2 with my Tanglewood TSB59VS, 335 style guitar!

Had it 6 years now. Served me well. I love playing it. I bought it used, but virtually unplayed, for $350+ moulded case.

Originally had a set up done by Jim Cargill of Cargill guitars. He did a great job.

Now, it seems the neck has moved in the past few years and developed a back bow. So much so it needed re doing. So I took it to Neal Bosanquet, who used to work for Maton guitars here in Melbourne. He does the bulk of my guitar/bass work these days. (He does work for my shop so I get it a LOT cheaper!)

He did a partial redress on the frets from 12-22. No matter WHAT we did, the A string BUZZED along its entire length! At each fret it buzzed and was dead sounding! Every other string rang out clearly. No matter how we set the bridge or nut it fretted out! And I lost the great low action it once had!

So, Neal said we need to add more relief! Open the cover, only to discover, NO hex socket! (Despite being told BY both Tanglewood UK, and the AU Distributor (National Music) that they all had adjustable rod/nut arrangements! So we assumed it had been stripped, by the person who had 'set up' the guitar for the original owner!

So after the feedback from both companies, Neal gets an Easy Out and screws it in to the end hole on the 'adjuster'. I hold the guitar steady, whilst he turns it, trying to crack the nut off, after having sprayed it with WD40 & leaving it sit over night. Will NOT move! He gave it a tap and saw it moved in the groove, so we decided to PULL it out via the hole.

We carved a deeper/longer groove in the head stock, screwed the Easy Out bit back in and started pulling on it and jiggling/twisting it. Bit by bit, OUT she came! Applause

And GUESS what we found? It was fucking WELDED on both ends!!! Even after both co's assured me they were not welded nuts, (they even sent me a picture of one with the nut removed!)

tangle nut

It was a FIXED relief rod, that was NEVER adjustable! A cheaper and nastier build spec to save time/money! ThumbDown

It might have been ok for the 1st few years of the guitar's life, however it eventually resulted IN a permanent back bow! What made it worse was, once we knocked the nut off the top of the fret board, we saw that the fret board had an ASYMMETRICAL radius!!! With the hump nearest the A string! No WONDER it buzzed all the way along!!!!! Woot

Anyway, we got it out, and saved a LOT of $, as we can rebuild the rod (cheaper and will be a custom fit) than to buy an off the shelf one, and then defret and remove the fret board, installing the rod and placing a new board, and refretting it! It's ~$5 as opposed to a ~$250 job! A new 5mm rod is about $5, Neal cuts a new thread on 1 end, and installs a bullet nut & screws it on! Tack welds it at the other end, and we push it back in the slot, and adjust it. Then we can see if any more fret work is required!

But talk about pain in the arse!!!! He, and myself, have NEVER encountered, even on an affordable instrument, a non adjustable truss rod! Even the cheapest and nastiest, $30 acoustics I used to set up to sell in the early days of the shop had adjustable truss rods! This was like an $800 guitar, & it had a fixed rod!!! WTF??? Brick wall

Anyway, we will most likely, get on to it tomorrow. THEN, it's rewire time with better pots and wires!

Check the pics of the truss rod I sent to National Music!

truss 1

truss 2

truss 3

truss 4

truss 6

Anyone ELSE ever encountered something like this? Think

Images fixed! ThumpUp

Edited by user Saturday, September 09, 2017 8:07:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: typos

Sponsor
big_teee
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 07, 2017 11:04:32 AM(UTC)
big_teee

Man

Was thanked: 261 time(s) in 256 post(s)
Sounds like you got lucky, and are able to fix it.
I can't access any of the pictures?
T
Axeman69
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 09, 2017 7:27:53 AM(UTC)
Axeman69

Man
Australia

Originally Posted by: big_teee Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like you got lucky, and are able to fix it.
I can't access any of the pictures?
T

Yes, I was 'lucky'! BigGrin

We cut the rods apart, new nut screwed straight on! I took some video.

ODD, the pics were viewable last night when I posted this. I stored them on Zippyshare.com, as Photobucket do NOT allow 3rd party embedding any more on free accounts!

They are no longer viewable to me either. I will repost them on another host.

ADDENDUM: I signed up @ Postimage.org, so embedded pix from now on will come from there! ThumpUp

Edited by user Saturday, September 09, 2017 8:12:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

big_teee
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 09, 2017 8:39:25 AM(UTC)
big_teee

Man

Was thanked: 261 time(s) in 256 post(s)
I can see the pictures now.
You must have a good camera, great pictures, they are very clear.

I don't know anything about truss rods, so let me see if I understand.
You were able to take the whole truss rod out of the headstock end hole?
Also, would you call that a single or double action truss rod?
The rod is supposed to be welded to the support bar, but not to the nuts on the end?
So are you installing a new truss rod, or repairing that one?
T

**Non related.
A-M, you posted a fret leveling vid one time?
Can you list a link to that, if it is still available.
I would like to try some leveling here!
Axeman69
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 09, 2017 10:06:57 AM(UTC)
Axeman69

Man
Australia

Originally Posted by: big_teee Go to Quoted Post
I can see the pictures now.
You must have a good camera, great pictures, they are very clear.

I don't know anything about truss rods, so let me see if I understand.
You were able to take the whole truss rod out of the headstock end hole?
Also, would you call that a single or double action truss rod?
The rod is supposed to be welded to the support bar, but not to the nuts on the end?
So are you installing a new truss rod, or repairing that one?
T

**Non related.
A-M, you posted a fret leveling vid one time?
Can you list a link to that, if it is still available.
I would like to try some leveling here!

Hey Terry!

No that camera is just a cheapy, instamatic from ALDI. It takes quite GOOD shots if you manually set it right! (LOWEST ISO setting @ ISO64)

Yes we took the rod out of the hole, only AFTER lengthening/deepening the channel by double at least, then gripped with an easy out bit. That rod is single action only. Most are. Made to bend the neck back.

As to the welding, no, the 1st pic shows the tensioning rod going THRU a tube that is welded to the relief bar! THAT is what WE will add to the end to make it adjustable. Then it will be re-welded.

Hopefully THAT will put an END to this dilemma!

Fret dressing vid: NB it is not instructional.

Edited by user Saturday, September 09, 2017 10:12:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified